Sky Q Hard Drive error messages
If you're seeing any of the below Hard Disk error messages:
- "Hard Disk Error. There is a problem with your Hard Disk Drive"
- "This service is not available because of a problem with your Hard Disk Drive"
- "No Hard Disk. There is a problem with your Hard Disk Drive. To continue with live TV channels only, press Dismiss"
You'll still be able to watch live shows on your Sky Q box and Sky Go app. However, you won't be able to set or play recordings, watch on demand, use a Sky Q Mini box or use the Sky Go app to watch recordings from your Sky Q box.
To fix the problem, follow these troubleshooting steps.
Reset your Hard Drive
Resetting the hard drive permanently deletes all recordings, downloads, purchases, reminders and series links. You can restore Buy & Keep purchases from the Sky Store website, or by going to the purchases tab in the recordings menu.
To reset the hard drive:
- Press the Home button on your Sky Q remote, highlight Settings then press 0,0,1 and Select.
- Select Reset and scroll to Reset hard drive. A warning message will advise all existing and planned recordings will be deleted. Press Select to continue.
- Wait for the on-screen instructions to disappear then press standby button on the front of your Sky Q box, instead of the Home button on your Sky Q remote.
Once the box has restarted, check you can set and play back recordings. It may take up to five minutes for all features to work.
Resetting the hard drive will clear any remote pairings you have setup. To re-pair your remote to your Sky Q box, follow our online help guide
Resetting the settings will also reset:
- Audio visual settings, such as picture resolution and HDMI control
- Preferences, such as auto-play and standby mode
- Settings changed within the hidden engineer menu, including LNB type and wireless connectivity
- Accessibility settings, such as contrast and audio description or subtitle settings Account info for Sky Q TV apps, such as Netflix
If you're still seeing an error message after completing the hard drive reset, you'll need to replace your Sky Q box.
Replace your Sky Q box
If your box still isn't working after completing all the troubleshooting steps, you'll need a new one.Order a new Sky Q box
- Your new Sky Q box should be delivered within 3 working days, complete with a full setup guide. You’ll receive tracking information from DPD or Anpost when you order your new box.
- When you order a replacement Sky Q box, you’ll need to return your old box, remote, and any cables to us.
- If you’re in the UK, Simply unpack your new box when it arrives, put your old box (making sure you remove the viewing card first), remotes, and HDMI and power cables into the packaging, and hand it to your courier (or leave it on the doorstep for them, if you’re self-isolating or social distancing).
- If you’re in the ROI, you’ll need to back up your old box and return it to us via Anpost.
- If you miss the delivery, we will try to deliver the box once more. After that, your replacement box will be sent back to us and you’ll need to contact us to re-order your box.
- If you no longer need a replacement box when your new one arrives, just reject the delivery the new box will be returned to us.
- Once your new box has been delivered, just follow the setup guide included to get up and running. If you need help setting up your new Sky Q box, go to our Setting up Sky Q help guide.