Unlike subtitles, sign language can’t be switched on or off as it’s part of the broadcast.
Sign language and signed programming
Many broadcasters offer signed versions of their show, and others, like us, contribute to content created in British Sign Language (BSL) by the British Sign Language Broadcasting Trust (BSLBT).
To see whether a show has sign language:
- Highlight the programme in your TV guide and check the programme information for the letters SL (sign language). Using an older Sky box? You might need to press I on you Sky remote to bring up the programme information
- You can also check for sign language while watching TV by bringing up the programme banner or mini guide and checking for the letters SL.
Programmes acted in BSL
We know how important BSL is in shows for d/Deaf and hard of hearing people. That’s why we contribute funding to the BSLBT – a charity that commissions TV shows made in BSL by d/Deaf people, for d/Deaf people.
BSLBT’s TV shows are available On Demand on Sky. To watch them:
Sorry, BSL Zone content isn’t currently available on Sky Go.
BSLBT was set up in 2008 to offer commercial broadcasters and alternative way to meet Ofcom’s regulatory requirements to offer sign language on their TV channels. We’ve been working closely with them ever since, and share their vision:
- To enrich the lives of the BSL community with shows made from d/Deaf people’s perspectives to inform, educate, entertain and inspire.
- To attract the widest possible audience with a rich and diverse BSL and d/Deaf culture.
- To encourage, support, and develop d/Deaf people’s skills in making TV shows.
Thanks for using our online services – if you do still need to contact us, please be aware that wait times may be longer than normal due to social distancing in our contact centres, but be assured we’re prioritising calls from customers who’ve already been online. We’re working hard to help you as fast as we can. We know it’s a challenging time for everyone right now. Thank you in advance for showing kindness and consideration to our team as they do their very best to help you.