Setting up Ultra HD
To watch in Ultra HD, you’ll need:
- A Sky Q 2TB box or a Sky Q 1TB UHD box. Not sure if your box supports Ultra HD or HDR? Check which box you have here.
- The HD and Ultra HD add-ons, or a Sky Q experience subscription
- To watch sports or movies in Ultra HD you’ll also need the Sky Sports and Sky Cinema subscriptions.
- The HDMI 2.0 cable provided by the engineer during your Sky Q installation. It has a pink connector featuring the Sky logo on both sides and ‘High Speed HDMI’ printed on the black cable.
- An Ultra HD TV that can display a picture resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 50 frames per second and has an input that supports HDCP 2.2.
- To watch in HDR, your TV will also need to support HDR (HLG format) and have this setting switched on. For more help with HDR, see Watching and setting up Sky Q in HDR.
To change your picture resolution to Ultra HD:
- Press Home on your Sky remote.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Setup, then Audio visual.
- Choose 2160p (UHD).
- When prompted to select 8-bit, 10-bit or Find it for me, select Find it for me to find the right setting for your TV. If you want to watch Sky Q in HDR, you'll need to select 10-bit.
If your TV doesn’t support the picture resolution, the screen will go blank for 10 seconds then revert to a supported resolution.
If you're seeing a plain coloured screen and can’t access the Sky Q menus, press Home on your Sky Q remote then enter 1080 and press Home again to reset your picture resolution.
For help setting up Sky Q in HDR, see our HDR help guide.
There are a select number of Phillips screens that are currently unable to be set to 2160p 10-bit on a Sky Q box. You may see a UHD 021 on screen message when trying to select 10-bit.
This is affecting 2018 model TV's with the Linux OS. Android OS TV's are NOT affected.
We are currently working with Phillips to resolve this issue for their customers that are affected.
Some affected Phillips TV models are;
- Check the Ultra UHD option for the HDMI port to ‘Optimal’ in the menu. – this enables 10 bit.
- If you have a 2018 UHD xxPUS6xx3/12 take the update.
If you're experiencing this issue with a Phillips 2018 Linux OS TV, please call Phillips for further support.
UK : 0207 949 0319
IE : 01 5245445
Setup error messages
If you see an error message when trying to set up Ultra HD, go back and make sure you have the right equipment and setup for Ultra HD.
If your setup is still not working, you may need to speak to the manufacturer of your Ultra HD TV for advice on settings and software updates specific to your TV.