Top tip: Got a Sky Q remote with Voice Control? Press and hold the voice button (which can be found either on the side or front of your Sky Q remote) and say “Turn Audio Description on” into the microphone.
How to switch on Audio Description
Turning on AD on your Sky box
To turn on AD on your Sky+HD or Sky Q box, using your remote:
- Press ? (question mark) on your Sky Q remote (located to the right of the number zero) and press select to toggle audio description On or Off
- Press help on your Sky+ remote (located to the right of the back up button, which is directly below the down arrow) and press the left or right arrow to toggle audio description On or Off, then press select to save the setting
- Press the AD button on a Sky Q accessibility or Sky Easy Grip remote and turn audio description on or off by pressing select
Once you’ve turned on AD, you’ll need to press back up (directly below the down arrow button on a Sky+ or Sky Accessibility remote) or dismiss (to the left of the Home button which is directly below the down arrow on a Sky Q remote) to close the menu.
Once you’ve turned on AD, it’ll continue to switched on for any shows or channels that has it available, until you turn it off.
If you recorded a show with AD on Sky+, it’ll be included and can’t be turned off in that recording. Sky Q customers can toggle AD on and off within recordings.
Turning on AD on Netflix
Want to turn AD on for the Netflix app on Sky Q? Select Audio and Subtitles on the programme information page, then select the audio described option from the menu. Or, press select while watching a programme on Netflix and turn AD on from there.
Turning on AD on Disney+
Want to turn AD on for the Disney+ app on Sky Q? From within the video player, select the Keyboard Icon in the right-hand corner of the screen. Then select your preferred language for AD.
Turning on AD on Sky Go
AD is currently only available on some recordings in the Sky Go iOS app for our Sky Q customers.
To watch a recording with AD in the Sky Go app (iOS only):
- Make sure audio description is enabled on your Sky Q box
- Open Settings on your Apple device
- On iOS 12 or older, select General then Accessibility. On iOS 13, select Accessibility from the main Settings screen
- Select Audio Description and switch the option On
- Record the AD programmes on your Sky Q box
- Open Sky Go and select the Recordings tab at the bottom of the screen
- Select and play the recorded programme
Good to know: You won't be able to watch all your recordings, downloads or live TV on Sky Go because of the agreements we have for certain shows and broadcasters.
Audio Description is now available on recordings in the Sky Go app on iOS devices. It’s not available on Sky Kids app or live Sky Go app content, or on the On Demand or Sky Store sections of the set top box.
Thanks for using our online services – if you do still need to contact us, please be aware that wait times may be longer than normal due to social distancing in our contact centres, but be assured we’re prioritising calls from customers who’ve already been online. We’re working hard to help you as fast as we can. We know it’s a challenging time for everyone right now. Thank you in advance for showing kindness and consideration to our team as they do their very best to help you.