- Never state your name or phone number when answering a call.
- If there’s no reply after giving a greeting, don’t say anything else.
- If you’re initially asked for your phone number, first ask the caller what number they dialled or require.
- Never give out personal details or engage in conversation.
- Keep calm – some nuisance callers may want to gain an emotional response.
- End the call immediately, or leave the phone off the hook and walk away for a while, then simply end the call without speaking or listening.
- Press a digit on the keypad as if you’re attempting to trace the call, and make a comment about it as if you’re speaking to someone else in the room.
- Record the amount and frequency of the calls to see if there’s a pattern.
For Sky Talk customers, if available, use 1471 to identify the nuisance caller’s phone number.
For Sky Mobile customers, caller ID should automatically be displayed on your device screen, unless you've chosen to disable the service on your handset.
You can also:
Block calls with Sky Talk Shield
Sky Talk Shield is free for Sky Broadband and Sky Talk customers. It lets you add the last caller to your Block List to prevent them from contacting you again. You can also use it to block anonymous callers from getting through.
Choose to be unlisted or ex-directory
This means your landline number won’t appear in the phonebook. The change will take effect from the next published version.
Activate Caller Display (Sky Talk customers)
This lets you see the phone number that’s calling before you answer. For this feature to work, you’ll need a phone that’s capable of displaying numbers on screen and an active caller display subscription service on your line.
If you’re a Sky Line Rental customer with a Sky Talk package, Caller Display should already be active on your line. If it isn’t, read our Caller Identity article.
Report nuisance calls and texts to Which?
Which? has created a free online tool that helps determine who you should report nuisance calls and texts to, and automatically issues a complaint on your behalf, subject to your approval.
If you’re feeling harassed by nuisance phone calls and are a Sky Talk customer, please contact us by selecting the Yes button at the bottom of the page.
Please note that these call features are optional extras. Charges for extra services are added to your Sky bill and can be viewed online or on your TV at any time. For a full list of our latest features and prices, please see our Sky Talk call features page.