If you stop receiving or, where you’re permitted to, cancel a Sky service before the end of your contract (minimum term) you may have to pay an early termination charges(s).
We’ll contact you to let you know if you’ll have to pay any charges and how much they’ll be.
How long is my contract for?
When you agree to sign up to Sky TV, HD, Sky+, Sky Multiscreen, Sky Q Multiscreen, Sky Mobile, Broadband, Talk, and/or Line Rental, a minimum contract length applies (minimum term).
For most Sky products, the minimum contract length is 12 or 18 months, unless otherwise stated.
A minimum contract length can also apply if you take up certain offers from Sky, but we’ll tell you this before you accept the offer.
When do I have to pay early termination charges?
For Mobile, Broadband, Talk and/or Line Rental: Early termination charges only apply if your subscription ends before the end of your minimum contract length (minimum term), for reasons other than those permitted under your contract. Please refer to your contract for more details. Your Sky Mobile contract is available at sky.com/mycontract (sign in with your Sky iD).
For Sky TV/Sky Q, HD, Sky+, Sky Multiscreen and Sky Q Multiscreen: To end your contract you’ll need to give us at least 31 days’ notice which cannot end before your minimum term finishes. The early termination charges described below are only payable if we end the relevant TV contract in your minimum term because you’ve breached your terms and conditions.
In all cases, if you cancel your service after you’ve reached the end of your minimum contract length (minimum term) you won’t have to pay any early termination charges.
How much will I be charged?
The amount you're charged depends on:
- How long you have left of your minimum contract length (minimum term) from the date your subscriptions end, calculated in days;
- The days you’ve already been billed for in advance; and
- The products that you subscribe to when your subscriptions end
This means the amount you’re charged may not be an exact multiple of the monthly charges listed in the table referred to below.
To find out how much you’ll be charged for each month remaining, based on the products that you take from us, see the Early termination charges table (PDF 173KB).
If you’re a Sky Mobile customer you may be able to reduce the amount of your early termination charge by changing your plan and removing any optional extras before you cancel. If you have a credit agreement for your phone and don't have any more active SIMs, we may ask you to repay any credit outstanding when you cancel.
* For Broadband and Talk products the final Early Termination Value is rounded up to the nearest 25p. The early termination charge will not be more than the charges you would have paid for your products for the remainder of the minimum term less VAT and any costs we save, including the cost of no longer providing you with the relevant products.
Sky Broadband Unlimited example:
If you’re a Sky Broadband Unlimited customer, paying £10 per month, on a 12 month minimum contract length (minimum term) that started on the 1 August 2017 and you cancel it on the 15 April 2018, your total early termination charge would be £47.25. Here’s how that’s worked out:
- £7.24 x 3 (for May, June and July) = £21.72
- ((£7.24 / 30) x 15) (for 16 - 30 April) = £3.62
- £21.72 + £3.62 = £25.34 (£25.50 rounded up to nearest 25p)
Plus Line Rental
- £6.18 x 3 (for May, June and July)= £18.54
- ((£6.18 / 30) x 15) (for 16 - 30 April)= £3.09
- £18.54 + £3.09 = £21.63 (£21.75 rounded up to nearest 25p)
Total early termination charge, £25.50 + 21.75 = £47.25
Sky Mobile example:
If you’re a Sky Mobile customer without Sky TV, with a 1GB plan and Unlimited Calls and Texts, paying £20 per month (£10 plan and £10 Unlimited Calls and Texts). With a minimum contract length (minimum term) of 12 months that started on 1 August 2017 and you cancel it on the 15 April 2018, your total early termination charge would be £52.29. Here’s how that’s worked out:
1GB data plan
- £6.68 x 3 (for May, June and July) = £20.04
- ((£ 6.68/30) x 15 (for 16 – 30 April) = £3.34
- £20.04 + £3.34 = £23.38
- 8.26 x 3 (for May, June and July) = £24.78
- ((£8.26/30) x 15 (for 16 – 30 April) = £4.13
- £24.78 + £4.13 = £28.91
Total early termination charge, £23.38 + £28.91 = £52.29