Charges for ending your Sky contract early
If your services end before the end of your contract (minimum term), you may have to pay an early termination charge(s)
If you do, we’ll let you know and confirm how much you’ll be charged.
How long is my contract for?
When you sign up to Sky TV, HD, Sky Multiscreen, Sky Q Multiscreen, Streaming TV (Sky Glass or Sky Stream), Sky Mobile, Sky Broadband and Talk (including Line Rental), a minimum contract length may apply (minimum term).
For most Sky products, the minimum term is 12 or 18 months, unless otherwise agreed.
Want to check when your Sky TV contract ends? Go to Your products.
A minimum term can also apply if you take up certain offers from us, but we’ll tell you this before you accept the offer.
When do I have to pay early termination charges?
For Sky Mobile, Broadband, Talk and/or Line Rental: Early termination charges only apply if your subscription ends before the end of your minimum term, for reasons other than those permitted under your contract. Please read your contract for more details. Your Sky Mobile contract is available at sky.com/mycontract (sign in with your Sky iD).
For Sky TV/Sky Q, HD, Sky+, Sky Multiscreen, Sky Q experience and Streaming TV (Sky Glass or Sky Stream): To end your contract, you’ll need to give us at least 31 days’ notice, which can’t end before your minimum term finishes. The early termination charges below are only payable if we end the relevant TV contract within your minimum term because you’ve breached your terms and conditions.
If you cancel your service(s) after you’ve reached the end of your minimum term, you won’t have to pay any early termination charges.
How much will I be charged?
The amount you're charged depends on:
- How long’s left of your minimum term from the date your subscriptions end, calculated in days;
- The days you’ve already been billed for in advance; and
- The products you subscribe to, the price you pay for them and when your subscriptions end.
This means the amount you’re charged may not be an exact multiple of the monthly charges listed in the table below. If you have subscription offers, your early termination charge will be calculated based on those discounted prices. To find out how much you’ll be charged for each remaining month, based on the products you take from us, see the Early termination charges table PDF 158KB
If you're a Sky Mobile customer, you may be able to reduce your early termination charge by changing your plan before you cancel. If you have any outstanding credit agreements for your product(s), your monthly repayments will continue, or you can choose to pay the remaining balance in full.
* For Sky Broadband and Talk products, the final amount is rounded up to the nearest 25p.
How are early termination charges calculated?
We take the monthly charge for products you have, then deduct:
- The business costs we save because we’re no longer providing you with your service(s), and;
- A discount for accelerated receipt – a discount reflecting the fact that we receive one lump sum payment, rather than a staggered payment made over the length of your subscription period.
The monthly charge minus the deductions gives a monthly early termination charge (ETC) rate, shown in the Early termination charges table (PDF) above. If you have a discount on your monthly subscription, we’ll deduct this amount from the ETC rate, then multiply your revised figure by the remaining days and months of your minimum term to work out your final early termination charge.
How do I check my contract?
To check your contract, go to My Messages and sign in using your Sky iD.
Early Termination Charges Timeline
You'll get a letter advising Early Termination Charges are due when you cancel or end your service(s).
The timeline below shows when these letters are sent and when the charges are taken.
You cancel Sky TV and Sky Talk. Your TV is out of minimum term but Sky Talk is in minimum term and you're not moving to another provider). Early Termination Charges are due for Sky Talk.
- Day 0 - You cancel Sky TV and Sky Talk with 31 days’ notice because you want all your services to end at the same time.
- Day 3 - 5 - We send a letter advising Early Termination Charges are due because you cancelled / ended your service(s) in your minimum term.
- Day 31 - Your services have now stopped.
- Day 32 - 34 - As the services have stopped, we'll send a letter confirming the amount due.
Unless we've got details stored from a previous one-off payment you've made, the charges are taken from your direct debit / continuous payment method on your next / subsequent bill along with any other charges like non-inclusive call charges.