Sky box problems
Having problems with your Sky+ box or Sky Q box? First try to reset it with these simple steps.
Reset your Sky box
- Turn off your Sky box directly at the mains.
- Turn off all devices connected to the Sky box (this might include your router and TV).
- Check that all the lights on the Sky box have completely disappeared.
- Leave the box and connected devices off for a few minutes.
- Switch your devices back on.
If the reboot was successful, the light on your Sky box will be green, and you will be greeted by the Sky welcome channel.
If this hasn’t solved the issue and your box still isn’t working, try updating the software on your Sky box.
Updating the software on your Sky box
- While holding down the standby button on your remote, switch your Sky box off at the mains.
- Leave the Sky box off for a few minutes.
- Next, press and hold down the backup button on the Sky box itself.
- While still holding down the backup button, switch the Sky box on at the mains.
- Keep the back up button held down for a further 30 seconds while the Sky box boots up.
- You should see 4 lights on the front of the panel light up. When this happens, you can release the backup button.
If you’ve done this successfully, the box will go into download mode. Once in download mode, take the following steps:*
- If you’ve successfully entered download mode, your screen should say Updating System Software.
- This usually takes up to 15 minutes, though sometimes it can take longer.
- Once the Sky box has updated, it will switch to standby.
- Wait four minutes, then switch the Sky box back on by pressing the Sky button on your remote.
*If the box hasn’t gone into download mode then try again, if it doesn’t work a second time there could be something more serious with your Sky box you may need to diagnose the problem.