Sky Q box is stuck in standby
If your Sky Q box won't turn on, is stuck on standby, keeps switching to standby, or is slow to respond, here are a few checks to carry out.
Check for a fault with the Sky Q remote
Press ? on your Sky remote and check that the LED light at the top of your Sky remote flashes.
If the light doesn't flash, there's a problem with your remote. Our Sky Q remote troubleshooting guide will help you get back up and running again.
If your remote does flash, press Home. The standby light on the front of your box should now turn green.
Light on your box still red or amber? Try pressing the standby button on the front of your Sky Q box. If the light now turns green, there's a problem with your remote. If the light stays red or amber, continue with the troubleshooting steps below.
Check for ventilation issues
To keep your box well ventilated:
- Avoid placing the Sky Q box on a carpet or in an enclosed space, such as a closed cabinet. Allow at least 10cm of space above and on all sides of the box vents.
- Don't stack other devices on top of, underneath, or beside your Sky Q box.
- Keep the box away from heat, such as vents on TVs and electronic devices, radiators and direct sunlight.
Restart your Sky Q box
- Press standby on your Sky Q remote, then switch off or unplug your box at the mains.
- Check there are no lights on the front panel of your Sky Q box and all cables are securely connected.
- Plug in and switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
- Wait for the on-screen instructions to disappear then press Home on your Sky Q remote.
Some features may take up to 5 minutes to return.
If after restarting your Sky Q box and its still stuck on a red light move to step 4, if your box recovered, continue to check the standby settings.
Check your standby settings
When your Sky Q box is installed, it's set to Eco. This is the recommended setting as the box consumes less energy by going into low power mode between 2.30am and 5:45am.
Bringing your box out of Eco mode will take a few minutes and if you try to use your Sky Q Mini box before 5:45am, you may experience connectivity issues. To stop this, you’ll need to switch your standby setting to Active or None.
To change your standby setting:
- Press Home on your Sky Q remote and select Settings, then Setup.
- Select Preferences, followed by Standby mode and select the setting you want.
Complete the recovery procedure
To complete the recovery procedure on your main Sky Q box:
Go to the next step if you have a Sky Q Mini box.
- Switch the Sky Q box off at the mains.
- Hold down the standby button on the front of the box, then switch it back on at the mains.
- Keep the standby button held down until you see alternating red and amber lights on the front of the box. This will start a software update.
If the lights don't show after 30 seconds, repeat steps 1 to 3. If it still doesn't work, you'll need to replace your Sky Q box.
- The update can take up to 15 minutes, then the box will turn off and go back to a single red light.
- Your box will restart.
- After the on screen messages have disappeared, press Home on your Sky Q remote to switch your box back on. If your Sky Q remote is not switching your Sky Q box on, after pressing Home, press the standby button on your Sky Q box and if your box turns on, there is a problem with your Sky Q remote, follow our Sky Q remote troubleshooting guide for more help.
If the screen freezes on Updating software Step 1 of 2 or Step 2 of 2 instead of going to the start up screens as expected:
- Switch the box off at the mains, then back on.
- When you see the hello start up screen hold in the standby button on the box, and you should see Updating software step 2 of 2.
Most features will work straight away, but some can take up to 5 minutes
Still can't turn your box on? You'll need to replace your Sky Q box.
To complete the recovery procedure on your Sky Q Mini box:
- Switch the Sky Q Mini box off at the mains.
- Hold down the Reset button on the back of the Sky Q Mini box and switch it back on at the mains.
- Keep holding it until the light on the front flashes red and green. This will take about 30 seconds.
- Once it flashes red and green, press the standby button on the front of the box.
If the lights don't show after 30 seconds, repeat steps 1 to 2. If it still doesn't work, you might need to replace your Sky Q box
- The box will then restart.
- After the on-screen messages have disappeared, press Home on your Sky Q remote to switch your box back on.
Most features will work straight away, but some can take up to 5 minutes.
Replace your Sky Q box
If your box still isn't working after completing all the troubleshooting steps, you'll need a new one.Order a new Sky Q box
- Your new Sky Q box should be delivered within 3 working days, complete with a full setup guide. You’ll receive tracking information from DPD or Anpost when you order your new box.
- When you order a replacement Sky Q box, you’ll need to return your old box, remote, and any cables to us.
- If you’re in the UK, Simply unpack your new box when it arrives, put your old box (making sure you remove the viewing card first), remotes, and HDMI and power cables into the packaging, and hand it to your courier (or leave it on the doorstep for them, if you’re self-isolating or social distancing).
- If you’re in the ROI, you’ll need to pack up your old box and return it to us via Anpost.
- If you miss the delivery, we will try to deliver the box once more. After that, your replacement box will be sent back to us and you’ll need to contact us to re-order your box.
- If you no longer need a replacement box when your new one arrives, just reject the delivery and the new box will be returned to us.
- Once your new box has been delivered, just follow the setup guide included to get up and running. If you need help setting up your new Sky Q box, go to our Setting up Sky Q help guide.