Sky+ box not working
Sky+ box not working? Complete these steps to get your box back up and running:
Press the standby button on your box. If the light doesn't turn green, restart your box.
Restart your box
- Press the standby button on your remote, then turn your box off at the mains. Wait a few moments, then turn your box back on.
- Wait four minutes, then press the sky button on your remote.
If restarting your box didn't work, go to the next step and try updating the software on your box.
Update the software on your box
- Press the standby button on your remote, then turn your box off at the mains.
- Press and hold the backup button on your box.
- While still holding the backup button, switch your box back on at the mains.
- Keep pressing and holding the backup button for up to 30 seconds, until you see all four lights on the front panel turn on, then release.
If the lights don't appear, you might need to contact us to book an engineer visit to fix your box.
If the lights do appear, continue.
Your box should now be in download mode, which can take between 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Don't turn off your box or try to watch TV while the box is in download mode. You may see an on-screen message saying "Updating System Software" when you switch on your TV.
Once the download is done, the box will switch to standby. Wait 3 minutes. then press sky on your remote to turn your box back on.
Sky box not working after the download? As a last resort, try a System Reset.
Carry out a System Reset
A System Reset is a last resort; it permanently deletes all recordings, downloads, reminders and series links.
- Turn your box off at the mains, then press and hold the left and right arrow buttons on your box.
- While still holding the buttons, switch your box on at the mains. Continue to press and hold for up to 60 seconds until the recording and playback circle on the front panel of your box lights up.
- The box will take a few minutes to complete the System Reset and will then switch to standby.
- Wait four minutes, then reconnect your TV and any other devices and switch them back on. Press the sky button on your remote to switch your box back on.
If the System Reset didn't work, you'll need to book an engineer appointment because there might be a problem with your Sky box.
If you're having another problem with Sky+, visit our help section or see below for common Sky+ problems.
Common Sky+ problems
Don't have a Sky+ box?
If you're a Sky Q customer, visit our Sky Q help guide.Sky Q help guide