To set up your Sky Q Booster, you can download the set up guide PDF or follow the instructions below.
The Sky Q Booster will only work the Sky Q Hub pictured below.
- 1. Find the area of your home where your signal is weakest
Take your Sky Q Booster to the area of your home where you’d like to improve the Wi-Fi signal.
- 2. Plug in your Sky Q Booster
Plug the blue end of the black power cable into your Sky Q Booster. Plug the other end directly into the mains and switch on.
Make sure you avoid plugging into a mains extension block as it reduces performance.
The power light will go solid green.
- 3. Connect to your Sky Hub wirelessly
1. Once the wireless light turns on, press and hold the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button for at least three seconds.
The light on the WPS button will flash amber.
2. Within two minutes, press and hold the WPS button on your Sky Hub for at least three seconds.
The light on the WPS button will flash amber.
3. If it connects successfully, all the lights will turn green.
The WPS light will turn off after two minutes.
Your Sky Q Booster is now connected.
If your Sky Q Booster doesn’t connect, the light on the WPS button may go solid amber or flash red. Plug it into a mains socket that’s nearer to your Sky Hub and repeat the steps above.
If it still doesn't connect, reset your Sky Q Booster:
Press and hold the reset button on the back for ten seconds until the power light flashes green.
Wait for the wireless light to turn solid green, then press the WPS button on your nearest Sky Q product for three seconds. Then press the WPS button on your Sky Q Booster for three seconds. After a short wait, the connected light should turn green.
A few things to remember
- You can only use the Sky Q Booster in one black spot of your home.
- Your home environment, including the layout of your home may affect the range of the Sky Q Booster.
- The best location for your Sky Q Booster is in or near the area of your home where your wireless signal is poor.
- If you can’t get internet access, make sure the power and wireless lights are solid green. Check the set up steps above for more information on how to position your Sky Q Booster in your home.
- Your Sky Q Booster may become hot during normal use. Don't worry, this is normal.
- What speed can I expect with the Sky Q Booster?
The Sky Q Booster will boost the Wi-Fi signal and give you an improved wireless signal in the black spot in your home but it will not improve the broadband speed into your home.
To find out your broadband speed, visit My Broadband and sign in with your Sky iD.
- Why is my broadband slower on my device when I move away from the black spot?
Your device may be using the signal from your Sky Q Booster even though you’ve moved to a different part of your home.
Go to the wireless settings of your device and turn Wi-Fi off and on again. Please refer to your devices manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. This will make sure your device is connected to the strongest Wi-Fi signal.
- My device doesn't automatically switch the Wi-Fi connection between the Sky Q Booster and my router.
Some wireless devices do not automatically switch connection from the Sky Q Booster to your router and vice versa. You’ll need to do this manually by going into the wireless settings of your device and turn Wi-Fi off and on again. Please refer to your devices manufacturer for instructions on how to do this.
- Is my device connected to the strongest signal?
If you notice a drop in Wi-Fi signal in other areas around the home, your wireless device may not be connected to the strongest Wi-Fi signal. Some devices don’t select the strongest signal automatically.
To make sure you connect to the strongest signal, go to Settings on your wireless device and turn the Wi-Fi OFF and ON again.
- Does the Sky Q Booster support the Wireless Station Access List feature?
The Wireless Station Access List feature allows you to further increase security on your wireless network by restricting access to only a specified list of wireless devices based on their MAC address. When this feature is enabled, any device not included in the access list will be refused connection to the network, even if it uses the correct SSID and Password.
The Sky Q Booster doesn't support the Wireless Access Station List feature. Any wireless device that connects to the Sky Q Booster using the correct security credentials will be allowed to access your wireless network. Any device specific MAC address restrictions set on your router will be ignored by the Sky Q Booster and there is no option on the Sky Q Booster to add this manually.
The normal level of security provided by your wireless network is in no way affected and no one can access your network using the Sky Q Booster unless you give them the correct SSID and Password.
- How do I reset to factory settings?
Make sure your Sky Q Booster is plugged in at the mains and switched on. Then, press and hold the reset button on the back of the device until the power light begins to flash green. This can take up to 10 seconds.
Don’t unplug or switch off your Sky Q Booster while it resets.
The power light will flash amber then will return to solid green when completed.
Thinking about upgrading your Sky package?
Explore the latest offers and upgrades tailored to you at
My Sky Offers