Privacy and Cookies Notice – UK
This Privacy Notice applies to the use of personal information by British Sky Broadcasting Limited and its group companies.
Any member of the British Sky Broadcasting group may use and share, within that group, the information you provide and other information it holds about you for the purposes set out below.
Information we may hold about you
- Information you have provided to us, including on Sky websites
- Information about Sky products and services you have ordered or enquired about
- Information provided by other companies who have obtained your permission to share information about you
- Information about the channels, programmes, advertisements and services you access, for example how you view, record or fast-forward them
- Information we collect using cookies stored on your device about your use of Sky and/or selected third party websites. For more information on cookies and how to manage them, please see the section on Cookies.
- Your IP address (this is a number that identifies a specific network device on the internet and is required for your device to communicate with websites).
- Technical information from your set top box relating to the service you receive
How we may we use your information
In addition to using your information to provide you with requested products or services and general account management and the management of traffic across our network, Sky may also use your information in the following ways:
- To monitor and improve Sky products, services and websites
- We may share information with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies for use in credit decisions, and for fraud detection and prevention purposes.
- If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, the details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when: checking details on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities; managing credit and credit related accounts and facilities; recovering debt; checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance; or checking details of job applications and employees. We and other organisations may access and use from other countries the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies. Please contact us by emailing us at email@example.com if you want to receive details of the relevant fraud prevention agencies.
- We may also share your information with other companies for debt recovery purposes.
- For market research
- To enable us to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements; to protect or enforce our rights or the rights of any third party; in the detection and prevention of fraud and other crimes; and for the purpose of safeguarding national security
- We may disclose your information to any successors of our business for them to use for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice.
and unless you have asked us not to:
- To send you periodic Sky newsletters about your chosen services
- To send you direct marketing (this may include communications by post, telephone or email, and, if you have a Sky Bet, Sky Poker, Sky Vegas and/or Sky Bingo account, by SMS) about Sky’s and our business partners’ products and services, events and special offers, including, where applicable, for a reasonable time after you have ceased to be a Sky customer
- To provide you with personalised services, such as providing you with viewing recommendations and tailored advertising. This means that we have your agreement to store information about you on the devices you use, for example to make some of the adverts you see more relevant to you.
You can opt out by calling us on 08442 41 41 41 or via your My Sky account. You can also click on the "unsubscribe" link in direct marketing emails from us. You can opt out of direct marketing altogether or you can choose between post, telephone and email. Sky Bet, Sky Poker, Sky Vegas and Sky Bingo customers can opt out of marketing SMS messages by replying "STOP" Personalisation (including tailored advertising) You can opt out by calling us on 08442 41 41 41 or via your My Sky account. Please note that if you opt out of personalisation you will not receive tailored advertising. This means you will still see the same number of adverts but they will be ones that appear as standard. Online behavioural advertising
You can also opt out of receiving our newsletters by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link in emails, or via your My Sky account.
Any queries or comments about this Privacy Notice or for requests of copies of the information we hold about you should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Customer Relations, Sky Subscriber Services Ltd, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 7DD, UK.
Please ensure you notify us of any updates, amendments and corrections to your information by contacting us on 08442 41 41 41 or through My Sky.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file, which is placed on your device when you visit a website or open certain emails.
We use information from cookies for purposes which may include:
- Identifying you when you sign in to My Sky, allowing you to see a customised version of Sky websites and eliminating the need for you to re-enter your log-in details;
- tracking your use of Sky websites to better develop them (for example, working out which parts of the website are more popular and developing our content accordingly);
- unless you have opted out, serving behavioural and tailored advertising on Sky online services and websites and selected third party websites, including by combining Sky cookie data with selected third party cookie data, which means you may receive advertisements which are more relevant to you.
For more detailed information on how to manage or disable cookies, please go to http://www.aboutcookies.org. To opt out of the use of specific cookies, please see below.
Used to maintain your session when you sign in on Sky websites. This allows you to access Sky’s online services without the need to sign in on every page you visit.
The session cookie is used to tailor advertising to you on Sky online services and websites and selected third party websites. If you opt out of tailored advertising, we stop using this cookie for this purpose.
Used to recognise repeat visitors to Sky websites. It may also be used in conjunction with other information we or our third party partners hold to attempt to record specific browsing information (for example, about the way you arrive at the relevant Sky website, pages you view, options you select, information you enter and the path you take through the Sky website).
Survey ad exposure cookie
Provided by Survey Interactive for Sky website survey purposes. Storing this cookie allows the accurate measurement of advertising on Sky websites, should you subsequently choose to participate in an ad effectiveness survey. If you do not choose to participate in an ad effectiveness survey, this cookie will expire without being used.
Used to customise your experience. For example, when you sign in to use any Sky services, cookies will be used to recognise you as a returning visitor and customise your experience on Sky websites.
Audience Science cookie
The Audience Science cookie enables behavioural advertising. Audience Science uses the cookie to place your device in certain advertising segments (e.g. sports segment) based on the content you view on Sky online services and websites and selected third party websites. This cookie is then recognised when you visit Sky online services and websites and/or selected third party sites, and enables advertising to be served according to the segments your device is in.
If you do not wish to receive such behavioural advertising you can opt out at http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices. Audience Science will send an "opt-out cookie" to your device. Please note that if you subsequently delete all your cookies, you will also delete the Audience Science opt-out cookie.
You can find more information on behavioural advertising at http://www.youronlinechoices.com.
Other third party cookies
Adtech is Sky's online ad server used for serving and tracking third party advertisements across the Sky websites and selected third party sites. You can visit the Adtech site at adtech.info/cookie_opt-out to opt out of cookie data being used by Adtech to track the advertising served to you. This is done by Adtech sending an "opt-out cookie" to your device. Please note that if you subsequently delete all your cookies, you will also delete this opt-out cookie.